Woody Allen famously said, “80% of success is showing up.” However the other 20% is where great achievement resides. In a classroom setting, a teacher moans that students want to do homework on their own terms. The students’ argument sounds like, “I did my homework to my satisfaction and I always get A’s. Why should I have to do the assignment your way?” Consequently somewhere inside of 80%, these students believe that they have the ability to dictate the terms of their performance and their rewards. Unfortunately, the marketplace has sole responsibility for dictating success.
In the business world, organizations who get a sense of entitlement based on past performance have identical attitudes. The marketplace may be impressed with previous accomplishments. But, it has no commitment to past behavior. The successful organization continues to meet the desires of moving targets in the marketplace every day.
Great, you showed up. You met your standard. As a customer, I demand
more. If you don’t give me more, then someone else will show up!
Ultimately, the customer will give you the assignment, and will then tell you if you passed.
This system works because service providers are rewarded for innovation and solutions. Today’s marketplace moves fast and it is moving forward. If you simply showed up, then the marketplace may have already left. The student needs to imitate the successful service provider and keep progressing by learning. One instructor requires one level of achievement. Another teacher wants another level according to their coursework and expectations. Customers behave the same way! 80% of success may be just showing up. But, it is the other 20% that creates sustained achievement, resulting in competitors who move beyond winning and start dominating. Show up, innovate, deliver, and then get the reward!
By Glenn W Hunter
Principal of Hunter and Beyond